I was invited to a wine tasting event on this past Tuesday night through work. Totally last minute, and when I got the call I said, "YEAH!" They also informed me that it would be Chilean wine, and as an avid New World wine drinker I was pretty excited :).
The wine tasting was at a hotel that we give a lot of business to. I walked into the Grand Foyer and it was absolutely beautiful: dimly lit, mirrors on the walls, attendants coming up to you and asking if they can take your coat, what looked like marble walls, columns, and stairs that exuded pure elegance. A small 3-piece band was playing light jazz, fast enough that you could almost dance to, but light enough to listen to over casual conversation. Overall a rather posh atmosphere :).
Calina, which I had never of before, was the Chilean wine being showcased, and they had four types for us to try: Chardonnay, Merlot, Carmenere, and Cabernet Sauvignon. We were to try them in that order. By the time I hit the Carmenere my face was feeling a bit warm, and I soon discovered the cheese table :). To my surprise I liked all four, and if I were not so dirt poor, I would have definately ordered a case. What I love about New World wine is that not only does it taste fabulous, but it is reasonably priced too! Unfortunately, at the moment I can't even afford a case that is affordable :).
This is of course Washington, DC, and the usual "networking" took place: "Hello, I'm so and so, nice to meet you. . . and what do you do. . . . where are you from. . . .how long have you been in Washington?. . . .oh and I know someone who works at so and so . . . really. . . . well do you have a card? . . . ok. . . we'll be in touch. After a while I'm sure most people can do it in their sleep.
I'm hoping to get more invites for wine tastings in the future. Perhaps by then I can afford to buy a case.
Wednesday, February 22
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment