After work yesterday I ran to buy a phone card in my old neighbourhood of Mt. Pleasant. Got home at around 19:00, enhaled some snacks and then started dialing. Lisa my housemate had emailed me earlier in the day that Elizabeth was either 3 or 4 hours ahead, depending on where in Burkina she was located. Thanks Lisa! Therefore, I felt a strong sense of urgency. It took me about 3 times to get through, and then I heard the short rings, the type I often heard in London. Ah memories! So after a few short rings, I heard her voice and she answered in English, "Hello." Being my jubilant self I relplied, "Bonjour, mademoiselle Elizabeth si vous plait!" In English she responsed suspiciously, "Who is this?" I was slightly suprised that she didn't recognize me, given that we are great friends and chatted almost on a daily basis ever since we met. I then thought to myself, well, she's in the heart of West Africa experiencing massive culture shock, has had little access to the internet, only recently bought a cell phone, and not to mention suffering in training. Alright, all these reasons may explain why she didn't recognize my voice. I finally said who it was, and she was absolutely ecstatic!
Elizabeth and I were on the phone for approximately an hour and a half! The time flew by so fast. We had static, and got cutt off a few times, but we managed to catch up to a certain extent. She will be in Ouaga this week and will have access to the internet, so I can ramble about that which I forgot to say. Am rather sure that I did most of the talking, but she wanted to know what was going on with me, as well as in DC and not to mention the world, so I told her. I've missed her advice so much. Unfortunately we got cutt off when I JUST STARTED telling her that one of her favourite politicians was on campus: Jimmy Carter. I'm sure his speech is on the University website, so I told her that I would email her the link. Also told her about my blog, so shall email her the link for that as well. Time is flying and next thing you know it will be August 2006, and we will both be in Spain for the wedding of our good friend Patricia!
Friday, October 14
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment