Friday, June 16

England 2 - 0 Trinidad & Tobago

I watched the first half during lunch. I just started working at an international organization comprised primarily of Latin Americans, so naturally, we have a big flat screen TV in the canteen. YAY!

Given that this international organization employs folks from the Americas, I did not have the courage to wear my England shirt in the cafeteria. Good call on my part, as there was a small T&T contingent. As far as I know, I was the ONLY person in the room rooting for the English. Sniff, sniff! I thought I would have at least one other Anglophile in the room!

I had to return to my desk after lunch, but kept the score window minimized on my computer. After work I went to a bar downtown to catch the replay, a bar which by the way, shows European and South American games throughout the year, so I thought I could finally reunite with Anglophiles. Unfortunately, when I arrived, there were only two people wearing England shirts: some dude and yours truly. Sniff, Sniff. Oh where for art though Anglophiles in the Washington Metro Area!

There were so many narrowly missed shots, and I think they were all by Peter Crouch. Poor thing! When he scored, I was hoping we'd see the robot dance, but there wasn't any time :(.
photos from the BBC




GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!

Rooney came in for a bit after recovering from a broken foot. Here is the second goal for England by Steven Gerrard right at the end of the match.



Quite obviously the English side is struggling. So much talent, yet there is no cohesion thus far. May they find their rhythm soon!

No comments: