Monday, November 28

Thanksgiving Mishaps

So we had a few MINOR accidents over Thanksgiving:

  • My carrots were undercooked. Sniff, sniff. Ok, not the end of the world.

  • One housemate slipped and fell in the basement when she was trying to clean the cooler. There wasn't much room in the fridge, so she was going to store the turkey in the cooler for a few hours, while it soaked in something, can't remember what exactly. When she filled it up with water, it was too heavy for her to lift, so she slipped on the basement floor and fell. There were about 10 of us in the house, plus the cat, and not one of us heard her. Poor thing. Thank god it wasn't worse. She laughed about it afterwards :).

  • I got locked in the bathroom. Yes, go ahead laugh. I was in our bathroom, and when I went to open the door to leave, I could not get out. I kept turning the handle over and over again, but nothing would happen. Absolutely nothing. First thought, "Right, there are worse places to be trapped. I have running water and natural light, thanks to the sky light." After numerous unsuccessful attempts to open the door, I heard my housemate Ivan come up the stairs. Thank god for Ivan! I told him through the door that I was locked in. He went downstairs and rallied his crew: the two dads that were in town for Thanksgiving. Next thing I know, it's the men that are trying to get me out of the bathroom, while the women are working on Thanksgiving dinner. I couldn't help but laugh as I heard the wrestling of tools and the brainstorming in order to rescue yours truly. I also thought to myself, "This could ONLY happen to me!" My housemate Loni's dad played with the lock and managed to remove the door handles. We could now see each other through the holes! He handed me a hammer and suggested that I try to remove the hinges from the door, as he contined to play with the lock. I could not see the pin that ran through the hinges, which I was supposed to remove, but I started hammering away at the hinges nonetheless. Next thing you know, the door opened. Not exactly sure what Loni's dad did to the lock, but he rescued me from captivity! YAY! I could not stop laughing! I marched downstairs and housemate Lisa said to me, "Here, you could use a glass of wine." All in all, I would estimate that the entire ordeal lasted for about 30 minutes. YAY for dads that are handy with tools!

Thanksgiving dinner itself deserves its own post :) .

No comments: