Monday, December 3

Olmert

On Thursday, the 29th of November, I ran an errand for one of my clients. I left the office and entered the elevator at the same time as some of my other clients, who were around my age, friendly, and dare I say, handsome :). I was chatting with one of them in particular, who was 6ft 5in, and whenever I chat with tall men I tend to feel cute and adorable :).

As we stepped off the elevator and into the Lobby, we noticed a Secret Service detail in front of the building. My client started complaining, but before I even heard him finish his sentence, I had run across the Lobby and exited the building in my beautiful silver high-heels to see what was going on.

On a side note, when I commute to work and/or run errands I usually wear my tennis shoes/sneakers/trainers, instead of dress shoes/high-heels, and I do this for a variety of reasons:

  1. I am a clutz.
  2. I want to preserve my cute and often inexpensive dress shoes as long as possible.
  3. When I was an intern in London, I had a bad habit of walking all over the city in dress shoes. I had become a bit of a girly girl, I must admit. Eventually this took its toll on my right foot, which resulted in my limping through Central London for approximately one week. I remember limping slowly through Finsbury Park, a rather dodgy area at the time, for pizza with a group of friends. My friend's Mum was visiting from Bulgaria, and she had expressed her concern regarding my foot, but after stuffing ourselves full of pizza at a very reasonable price, I wanted us to walk back to the Tube as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, my foot made this a tad difficult, and therefore, lesson learned!!

Right, back to the story. When I exited the building onto the street, there was a small crowd, and of course everyone was wondering who the Secret Service was protecting. I also noticed they were wearing the same pin as Cheney's detail, which made me wonder if all Secret Service officers, excluding the uniform division, wear the same pin. I don't remember Obama's detail wearing that pin, which reminds me, I still need to post on my run-in with Obama!

We stood outside waiting, asking one another if anyone knew who they were guarding. No one had any idea, and I had an errand to run, not to mention getting back to work. From a distance, an older gentleman exits the building and gets into a pseudo-Lincoln towncar. I was too far back to get a good look, but a man in the crowd yelled, 'It's Olmert, It's Olmert,' the Prime Minister of Israel. The Secret Service jumped into their black suburbans, turned on their sirens, and went on their way. From what I noticed, the detail was comprised of ten men, and they looked like they had a significant amount of experience under their belt.

It was semi-exciting, but I wouldn't have minded a better view :).

No comments: