
Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner became Argentina's first elected female president, and it is very exciting to have another woman Head of State, especially in Latin America :). This does not mean that I would vote for someone solely on the basis of gender, ahem ahem! She's had a long career in politics within the Peronist party, and before attaining the Presidency was Senator for Buenos Aires province.

Cristina is married to outgoing President Néstor Kirchner and is expected to further his policy agenda. She has more of an interest in foreign policy than her husband, which entails restoring ties with Washington. I'm sure it helps to keep politics in the family :).

In comparison with American female politicians, Chilean counterpart Michelle Bachelet, and Germany's Angela Merkel, I couldn't help but notice how fashionable and dare I say, feminine, Cristina is. The German Chancellor however, is in dire need of a stylist.
Cristina wears designer clothes, in light colors and prints, and I guess I'm just used to female politicians wearing dark and conservative business attire. Furthermore, I could never imagine an American woman, or any other female Head of State in the West for that matter, wearing the white lace dress/outfit (pictured above) on their Inauguration Day. In my own personal opinion, her wardrobe does not seem appropriate for a female Head of State, but this may just reflect my bias for dark and conservative business attire :). Women politicians should have the freedom to express their femininity, but that may not always fly well with their respective constituencies.
I've also heard a few rumors about her lips, if you now what I mean. Hope I don't sound too caddy, and I know that we women have a bad habit of criticizing each other's appearances.
Unfortunately I don't think Cristina will do much for the feminist cause, since I've read that she prefers to work with men. Must wonder why that is, as it was also the case with Margaret Thatcher.

1 comment:
I say as long as she's modest and professional looking, let her wear what she wants. There is a wide range of viable clothing options in the "professional" look, even in (boring) DC, and I get the idea that Buenos Aires is much more in tune with fashion than DC. As long as she doesn't look like she's on vacation in Rio all the time, more power to her!
Post a Comment