It's amazing how quickly time goes by and we don't even realize it. The tragic events of 7/7 were on my mind throughout the day.I wore my London Underground t-shirt today, which has the authentic Tube logo on it. It's one of my favourite t-shirts and I seldom wear it, because it is very special and close to my heart. Given this day of remembrance, I decided to take it out of my closet.
It's already been one year since multiple explosions rocked the The Tube in London. One of the explosions took place on the Piccadily Line, between Russell Square and King's Cross stations. The Piccadilly Line goes straight through Central London, and I used to be on it all of the time. I had also been to both stations on numerous occasions.
I went to the embassy to drop off some flowers and pay my respects. Getting to the embassy is a journey, as it is not metro-accessible, and the bus on Massachusetts isn't exactly reliable. Unfortunately, there wasn't anyone at the embassy to talk to, at least not near the gate. Last year I talked with some of the security officers for a few minutes and gazed at the flowers that other folks had left.
I then rushed home to watch BBC news and their coverage of the commemorations. A two-minute silence was observed at noon throughout the UK. I'm not sure if I can express what I felt during the news coverage, as they showed people placing flowers of remembrance in Regents Park, crowds of mourners and victims at each of the bomb sights, and interviews with survivors who were haunted by nightmares and flashbacks.
London is one of my favourite cities in the world, and it has given me so much. It made me an autonomous and adventurous person, and I would not be living on ther side of the country, away from my parents, were it not for my experiences in London.
I do not know when or for how long, but I know that one day I will return and be able to pay my respects in person.
photo from the BBC

No comments:
Post a Comment