Monday, July 10

Italy wins aet in penalty kicks

It was an amazing match and I watched in great company! Shall discuss in depth soon.

All of the girls present kept drooling over the Italian side. We also thought French player Zidane was hot. Why do I learn of these fabulous men after they are married? I'm sure he'll visit me in my dreams. Sigh!

I do not condone the headbutt, but given the statement in Wiikipedia I think his reaction is understandable.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Italy has won it.

I do not condone that headbutt, no matter what insult was said to Zidane. He should not have won the Golden Ball for best player. That headbutt should have disqualified him. That was not proper sportsmanship. And according to Wikipedia: Sportsmanship is defined as "conduct and attitude considered as befitting participants, including a sense of fair play, courtesy toward teammates and opponents, a striving spirit, and grace in losing."

Carolina said...

So you've never had weak moments I take it, or done something stupid that you later regretted.

Anonymous said...

Of course I have! But, I'm not on global tv and I'm not a celebrity, idol or superstar where many little children want to be like me. You know how little kids like to copy what famous adults do. I know we have celebrities on pedestals, but many of them chose that lifestyle and knew they would be held to higher standards than laypeople.

So what, in the next World Cup, it's okay to headbut your oponent just because he insulted you? If we take it a step further, does that mean that during a baseball game if an audience member insults the hitter, is it ok for him to turn around and try to hit said person? Or how about in a basketball game? All those players should be suspended for the rest of the season with a hefty fine for fighting during a game. Alas, in America that will never happen. Sports and sportsplayers bring in too much $$$ to suspend a favorite player for an entire season. They get away with a slap on the wrist, a day off and a small fine.

Sorry about how harsh I sound, but it's what I believe.

Carolina said...

Read this and let me know what you think:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/5176156.stm


http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/italy/5177140.stm

Anonymous said...

I saw his interview in the Spanish news and I read the articles you wanted me to read. I still believe the same way. I'm glad that he mentioned the children who watched him in his last game and apologized. But that's it...no regret...would most likely do it again if given the chance. My opinion has not changed. Yes, ok, he can keep his award. He was a great player, but some people (meaning me) will always remember the head butt...sad...such tarnish on my memory of him. Up until that point, I really liked (still somewhat like) and respected him during these games; I saw and acknowledged how well he and his teammates played. And I'm a fan of Brazil! I didn't like that they beat Brazil...but that was a great game. He has the title of best player, but he lost my respect of him.

Carolina said...

So I guess we agree to disagree then?

Anonymous said...

I just LOVED that email you sent me. Where did you find it? I like the french and american viewpoints. Just like you and I.
;p