I then proceeded to Borders. After browsing for about 20 minutes, I noticed several ear-pieced men in suits, and each had a blue pin with a gold star on it. My first thought was that they were protecting an Ambassador, but I couldn't think of a country that had a flag resembling the pin. My next guess was a Senior Cabinet Official, so I kept looking around to see who they were guarding. They were in circular formation.
I then noticed a short elderly man browsing in the New Hardcover section, at the front of the store. He did not look like any Ambassador I had ever seen. I was less than 10 feet away from the mysterious gentlemen, and I thought, "That kinda looks like Dick Cheney," but I dismissed my observations.
A courier then approached me and said, "That's Dick Cheney!" Naturally I had an OMG moment. He was browsing for maybe 20 minutes, then of course people started taking pictures, whispering too loudly, etc. He picked a few books, maybe 5 or so, and then stood in line. There was a gap in front of him as well as behind him. I could not see who he paid with, but I moved near the door, so I could get a good look at him. As he approached the exit, my jaw dropped, and I turned tomato red as he looked in my direction! I couldn't think of anything to say for a variety reasons:
- I was nervous, too nervous to even wave
- My mother taught me to respect my elders, regardless of what they do or say
- I was afraid of being tasered by 8 Secret Service men, at least 8 that I could see. Two were outside the store.
- When Cheney looked at me, I was holding a big "Obama: Countdown to Inauguration Calendar," and a copy of The End of America: A Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot, by Naomi Wolf. I bought it per Catherine's recommendation, and it discusses how this country is becoming a fascist state under the current administration. It's also ironic that when I purchase such a book, that I run into the Vice President. The calendar was a birthday gift for Elizabeth, who is madly in love with Obama. Yes, Dick Cheney, saw me holding these two items in my hand, I'm sure he thought I was totally crazy!!!
The Secret Service men guarding Cheney were a lot older than I thought they would be. Older and fit, aged 40-50s. Obama's Secret Service detail looked considerably younger, all around my age, and cute :)!!!!!
T'was one of the highlights of my weeek. I respectfully ask that the DNC and my lefty friends NOT disown me. Am easily star-struck :).
Barack Obama deserves his own post :)

6 comments:
As I read this, I was so ready to disown you as my friend. What does it matter what reading material you have in your hands? Stand up and be proud of your opinions, especially if the person in front of you has a completely different opinion than you. Don't let someone change your opinion just because you were star-struck. Only change your opinion when someone has made a convincing argument that you cannot refute.
I think you need to re-read my post.
I read it again. Moving on. ;p
Don't you think you over-reacted?
NO. You're not changing my mind. Sorry. End of discussion.
Well, eh, you over-reacted.
Post a Comment