Monday, April 9

Hostessing

In late January, I started hostessing at a posh steakhouse in order to supplement my crappy income. To be on the safe side, this entity shall remain nameless, at least for now. . . .

So far, so good. No major faux pas, although I did lose someone's hat on my second week. I must say, he took it very well. I felt horrible, especially given that he was only in Washington for a few days. Most likely I stuffed his hat in someone else's coat pocket. Unfortunately, no one turned it in.

We also cater to celebrities and politicians. Few have dined on my watch, and the single individual who has, deserves his own post :).

Last night I heard a strange squeaky sound eminating from the front of the restaurant. After working there for two months, I learned that we have a RED VIP phone, which reminded me of the Batphone from the old 1960s Batman TV show, hiding behind the computer, and it was this posh phone that was ringing and ringing. My colleague answered, only to learn that it was one of the servers playing a prank.

I'm just glad we had no VIPs at 10:00 PM on Easter Sunday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you should have said something earlier! You have a second job as a Hostess. What's your first job again? ;p

I glad the guy didn't cause a commotion for his lost hat.

As soon as I read the words "red phone", I too had an image flash of the old Batman phone. Too bad the call was a prank though. :{

Looking forward to that post on the celeb that did dine during your duty.

Carolina said...

I also work at a small commercial real estate company, as an "Associate".

He's not a celeb in the Hollywood sense, but more so in IR :).

Anonymous said...

Hey, I thought you should know that I'm hearing rumblings about a Spiderman musical. The only reason I telling you this...is because I heard they want to use songs written by Bono. ;p